Monday, November 14, 2011

Rowladen Recipe

Here is my dad's Rowladen* recipe (from the Pennsylvania Dutch -- be careful, they might smell the aroma, break in, and try to cut off your beard!):

Ingredients:
round steak cut real thin or a small "eye of round" sliced thin
bacon slices
onion slices
prepared mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Spread meat slices with a little mustard, add bacon, onion and seasoning. Roll up and fasten with a toothpick. Brown in fat in a frypan and then add some water and simmer, covered, about 2 hours until tender (tender enough to cut with a fork). If desired, add quartered potatoes for the last hour.

My dad had never cooked before my mother died. I was afraid he would waste away, eating TV dinners and canned soup. But he made a point of learning to cook, often trying new recipes and experimenting. He did great!

*normally spelled rouladen, from the French word "rouler" meaning "to roll."

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is an article written by my Uncle Marvin in 1954. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news102111.htm.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:45 AM

    Thanks Philip! I'll give this a try for tonight's dinner. We just returned home from five beautiful weeks on Ocracoke. Nothin' can be finer. ;)
    Maureen & Vinnie (The NY White Hummer Truck couple)
    Tonawanda, New York

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:00 AM

    Oh boy! That recipe sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing, Philip! I know you miss your parents so much.

    To Maureen and Vinnie, I have to tell you this NC Mainlander is so happy for you to have spent five beautiful weeks on O.I. You are blessed!!!!! Wow!

    I missed going this year and my heart tugs so hard in the direction of O.I. Hope one day I can say, "I spent five beautiful, carefree days on O.I." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:26 AM

    Philip, one more question, please....the bacon is not cooked at all until it's added to the roll, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon 7:26 -- that is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:45 PM

    Danke!

    ReplyDelete