Friday, November 18, 2011

Duck Weather

      Wednesday night brought some wild wet weather.  Thunder,lightening and pouring rain ( 2 1/2 inches per Dale ) raked the island during the overnight hours. Upon waking ( not that I got much sleep with all that racket! ) I saw that the yard, driveway etc. was flooded ankle deep.  "Duck Weather" I grumbled.

Going to the kitchen to make coffee I glanced out at the screened porch.  Blinking a few times in disbelief, I walked slowly to the door only to realize I wasn't "seeing things".  There was indeed a Mallard drake on the screened porch eating cat food out of my cats' bowl.  I thought I must have left one of the porch doors unlocked and it had blown open but no they were both securely locked.  The only entrance available was the "cat door".  I had to laugh picturing that feat.  Apparently the weather was even too much for a duck!

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:01 PM

    a picture is worth a thousand words. What no duck soup. You quack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was some fowl weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:48 PM

    What a hilarious story, Philip! That duck has watched the O.I. cats so much it knows the routine.

    One never bores with the unpredictable weather or stories you send us.

    Just one question, where was your cat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:51 PM

    I think you should get the duck his own bowl. Who knows when he may decide to drop in again & bring you a reason to smile on an otherwise gloomy day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is Philip. Jude wrote this story, not me. I don't know where her cat was. Maybe the cat was paddling around in the puddles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just discovered the journal and love it. I found it because I was Googling and came across the Don Wood Thanksgiving story. Just wonderful.. Did Don ever mention his friend Joe "The Bear" who was severely mauled by a grizzly (for over 45 minutes)at the age of 20? Joe is my brother, and I'm sure he would love to meet and talk about Don.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:18 PM

    A horrific bear mauling which lasted more than 45 minutes. Now who was keeping time. Was the victim drifting in and out of consciousness during the event. The fact a time was noted-I find fascinating. Was the bear tracked down --otherwise how to know it was a grizzly bear. Was the victim armed with bells whistles and pepper spray? One way to track animals is by their dung. Grizzly bear dung smells like pepper spray and is shiny because it has bells and whistles in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RunningToSixty -- I never heard Don tell the story of Joe "the Bear." Maybe his daughter Stephanie knows the story and will tell it to me one day. It sounds fascinating, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We know it was 45 minutes because that's how long it took for the guy he was hiking with to run down the mountain, get a ranger, ranger to run back up the mountain, etc...
    http://thestory.org/archive/the_story_551_Grizzly_Bear_Attack.mp3/view here's a link to an interview with Joe on NPR. Stephanie definitely knows the story.

    ReplyDelete