Friday, January 07, 2005

Parties & Dinners

I've not even been home 48 hours and my island social schedule is full. Yesterday evening I joined several dozen people at Lisa Landrum's home for a birthday party for Leslie Lanier, owner of "Books to be Red." All of our island gatherings are rather informal. After all, we know each other pretty well. Introductions and "small talk" are seldom necessary. We can go right to the essentials with ease. One of Ocracoke's unofficial mottos is "We don't care what you do; we just want to know about it." It was good to catch up on island news.

Tonight I'll have dinner with a dozen or so other folks, along with old friend and former island resident, Tom DeTitta. Tom assures me that even though the village has changed some since he lived here (more buildings & businesses), we islanders are still as eccentric and odd as we were twenty-five years ago. I'll take that as a compliment.




No comments:

Post a Comment