Monday, September 18, 2006

Three Years Ago Today

Dale was mowing the lawn this morning when he called to remind me what happened three years ago today. I didn't need reminding. Not many of us that live on Ocracoke and Hatteras do. Izabelle happened. This past weekend was good enough to be bottled and sold! We all work such long hours duing the season that I believe these glorious end of summer, early autumn days are given to us especially as a gift. They are just for us, to clear our heads, fill our lungs and hearts and ease our weary bones. We went to the beach where Willy our Corgi enjoyed the waves and Lici our eight year old grandaughter built another sand castle and collected more shells for necklaces. Dale, Jaren, Frank and I watched the fishermen and just enjoyed being. Some dear souls tried driving their little sedan onto the beach and it sank like a rock in the sand. I can't imagine what they were thinking. A couple of local fellows stopped ( one of them was my son Matt) and pulled the visitors car off of the beach. I hope they leave with a good memory of Ocracoke and her people.

You can read our latest newsletter here. It's a history of Ocracoke's historic Howard Street

.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:59 PM

    Hi,
    It's true. The people on Ocracoke are absolutely wonderful. And another mystery has been solved for me at least, Ocracoke is a girl. Hooray!! Carol in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:16 AM

    I was on Ocracoke several years ago the week after Labor Day. The weather was beautiful and the village and beaches were deserted. I think it is only fair that you who live there and have to put up with us "dingbatters" during the crazy summer get to enjoy Ocracoke at her best.....but I still wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:19 PM

    I to am one of the dingbatters who come to your beautiful island during the crazy summer but I so wish that I could be there in the fall or spring, maybe some day when I am retaired I will be able to see Ocracoke at her best

    ReplyDelete