Saturday, September 30, 2006

Hungry

Well, a few folks knew the word "peckish." One dictionary I have lists the word; another one doesn't. It means "hungry" and is identified as "chiefly British." I suppose it's one more of those old English words that has survived on Ocracoke for many a generation. Even on the island it is no longer a word commonly heard. Nevertheless most native islanders know the word, even if it is seldom used today.

I am giving the journal entry position back to Jude for a while. She still needs to give you that information she promised you -- about the storm of '44. I am getting ready to spend a couple of days hiking in the mountains of Tennessee so I'd better start getting ready. My friend Jim will be hanging out at my place while I'm gone, ready to report to me how wonderful the weather is on the island while I am away (this afternoon the beach was super -- sunny, blue skies, and warm, warm water....ahhh). It's difficult to think about leaving!

You can read our latest newsletter here. It's the story of the Community Store and other general stores on the island.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:19 PM

    First time I ever heard the phrase was in the movie "O, Brother, Where Art Thou?" spoken by the one-eyed bible salesman (played by John Goodman). But I forget, did he say he was right peckish or a might peckish?

    ReplyDelete