Saturday, December 08, 2007

Dolphins

Yesterday afternoon for my walk I thought I would have the whole beach to myself. The wind had died down, the temperature was rising, the sky was clear, and there was no one to be seen in either direction (actually there was one young man down by the water, but he soon left, and then it was deserted).

Because the wind had subsided the water was calmer than it has been these last few days. Gentle waves washed up on the beach, but beyond the breakers was a soft rolling surface. I kept my eyes trained a hundred yards or so off shore, and sure enough it wasn't long before I spotted the first pod of dolphins. I wasn't alone after all.

In the winter, when the water is not too choppy, dolphins are almost always in sight. Yesterday was no exception.

Our latest Newsletter is about the old Howard cemetery on British Cemetery Road. You can read the stories here.

No comments:

Post a Comment