Sunday, December 02, 2007

Quiet

On my drive to the beach this morning I couldn't help notice the parking lot at the Variety Store -- only one lonely car.

I walked over the ramp at the lifeguard beach (of course, there are no lifeguards this time of year), and walked about a mile. Not a single person was in evidence. When I turned around I did see four people near the ramp, but three of them soon disappeared back over the dunes. I only passed the one other person as I made my way back. The tide was high, broken shells were washed up on the beach, and there were a few other footprints. But other than that it was quiet and peaceful. Walking north I had my lightweight sweatshirt pulled tight around my neck (the cool wind was blowing into my face), but after I turned around I took off the sweatshirt, rolled up my sleeves, and removed my hat. At a brisk pace, and without the breeze it felt rather warm.

Winter at the beach can sometimes be dreary and lonely, but it is often a great time for reflection and contemplation.

Our latest Newsletter is about the old Howard cemetery on British Cemetery Road. You can read the stories here.

No comments:

Post a Comment