Saturday, March 21, 2009

Line 42

My accountant just finished my 2008 federal tax forms, and I decided to look them over. Imagine my surprise when I came to line 42 (on form 1040): "If line 38 is over $119,975, or you provided housing to a Midwestern displaced individual, see page 36."

A Midwestern displaced individual? Provided housing? Maybe Lou Ann would count. She is from the Midwest, after all. And I provide her housing every summer.

But no, she doesn't count as displaced (by a weather-related disaster), so I can't count her. As much as I sympathize with genuinely displaced Midwesterners, I can't help but wonder why they are singled out. No wonder we need professionals to prepare our taxes!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is Lou Ann's story of participating in the 2008 Christmas Bird Count on Portsmouth Island. You can read it here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:22 AM

    Too much Foreign aid in the Presidents budget?? this is domestic aid for sure I did a google search and the deductions apply to residents from the states declared a disaster zone due to floods and tornadoes that wrecked havoc last spring and summer. I wonder what the 2009 disaster tax deduction will include

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee I have a Midwestern leftover college student,( came for summer break between semesters and never left)( although he is finishing school part time) that is at my house 90% of the time, I feed him, allow him to use the washer, help him pay a few bills now and then, andeven throw him a twent for gas....and he isn't even related to me....I better go check out page 36!!!( ps. love the blog, have a couple of houses up in Rodanthe, but the permant residence is in Ohio)

    ReplyDelete