Saturday, March 14, 2009

Off-Island

On Thursday Amy & I went "up the beach." I had a doctor's appointment at 11:30 in Kitty Hawk. We left on the 8 o'clock ferry (it was very windy and rough -- salt spray covered the car), and made a side trip into Manteo on the way there. Amy bought some material for a quilt and I browsed in the bookstore across the street.

We arrived at the doctor's office fifteen minutes early, so I had enough time to fill out a few forms before I was called in. Amy took the car and ran some errands. After the appointment we stopped for lunch, then did a bit of shopping (paint, corkboard, trash can, copper brads, a few grocery items). We got back to Hatteras Inlet at 6:30, so we made the 7 o'clock ferry, and were home at 8.

After a long day off island I thought, it may take 12 hours for us to make a routine doctor's visit (plus a little shopping), but it only takes five minutes to get to the beach! It's not such a bad trade off.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is Lou Ann's story of participating in the 2008 Christmas Bird Count on Portsmouth Island. You can read it here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:10 AM

    Thanks so much for taking time to post your journal entries! I love Ocracoke and try to come and camp each summer. Reading yours and some of the other Ocracoke blogs becomes a little mini-visit to the island for me!

    ReplyDelete