Sunday, March 08, 2009

Off-Island Friends

Early yesterday afternoon, as I was sitting in my side yard reading Newsweek and soaking up the sunshine, I got a call from my friend Jim who was on the island with friends. He'd come to Ocracoke from his home in Manteo just for the weekend. We were sitting on the pizer catching up on news of each other's lives when Dallie and her sister Lee stopped by. It was a great afternoon to relax and visit with friends and family.

After my visitors left I biked down to the Community Store for a few groceries, then set to work preparing my broccoli and cheese soup. Amy and Lachlan were on their way home after picking up David's parents, Pat & Steve, who will be on the island for several weeks. My soup was ready as they pulled into the driveway (with a bottle of red wine and bakery fresh bread).

It was a good day even if I never got my daily walk on the beach.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is Lou Ann's story of participating in the 2008 Christmas Bird Count on Portsmouth Island. You can read it here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:05 PM

    OMG Did you say bakery fresh bread??? there is a decent bakery on Ocracoke island?? I judge a town by the quality of the baked bread from a LOCAL bakery. I do score accordingly if the bread is so so but the pastry chef knows his/her stuff. Do tell, is this bakery known for it's bread or cakes is it possible for a bakery to score tens in all categories Bread -cakes- sweet rolls- cookies - and Hummus is there a good source of Hummus on Ocracoke Island??? Oh yes, This soup you speak of ; should it be thick rick and creamy or watery with the florets floating about? How does one judge a decent broccoli cheese soup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry -- the bread was from an off-island bakery.

    I don't know how to judge broccoli and cheese soup. Mine is medium-creamy. Florets floating about on top make for a nice presentation, but I forgot to save any out. It was still tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:36 AM

    Hi! We love the blog and the store and are hoping to get some advice from you locals.

    We vacation every year on Ocracoke and for the last 5 years have rented a house called Pipe Dream. The week we want this year is taken. That's what we get for waiting until March to call.

    Last year, I noticed some new rental companies have formed.

    Can you possibly recommend another company because we can ONLY come down that one week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind words. For links to rental agencies & lodging on Ocracoke please go to our web page "Ocracoke Information." Here is the URL -- http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/ocracoke.htm.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete