Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Early Morning Rain

A gentle rain is falling as I write. And there is a slight chance of thunderstorms later today. I am happy for the rain. It will nourish the plants and flowers in my yard. I don't have a lot of lush vegetation, but the rose bush seems to be thriving (three red blossoms are gracing my yard), the hydrangeas ("high-geraniums" in Ocracoke parlance) are healthy, the camelias are growing, and the narcissuses are blooming. The rain will also help the juniper planks in my wooden skiff swell up.

The last two weeks have given us superb weather for working outdoors, but frankly I'm a little worn out. So today will be the perfect day to write letters, pay bills, organize my desk, read it bit...and maybe even take an afternoon nap.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter celebrates colorful islander Don Wood (1936-1998). You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news042610.htm.

4 comments:

  1. You Gardenia looks healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:46 PM

    The start of that gardenia came from Blanche!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha!Ha! We have "High-Geraniums" here in Alabama, too!

    We will be there in a few days. June 4-12. Hope to see all of you then.

    Don & Mandy Davis
    Ranburne, AL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:08 PM

    Naps on Ocracoke Island while a gentle rain falls are the very best!

    Maybe one day I'll get another deep, peaceful nap while visiting your charming island.

    Once again, I'm envious of you!

    ReplyDelete