In order to ease congestion on the emergency route and allow extra access between Ocracoke and the mainland, the Ferry Division has added an additional round-trip run on Pamlico Sound between Ocracoke and Swan Quarter. The new schedule, effective immediately, is as follows:
- Departing Ocracoke: 7 a.m, 10 a.m, 12:30 p.m.
- Departing Swan Quarter: 10a.m., 1 p.m., 4 p.m.
- Dare Transport vehicles with labels on the door
- People with documented medical appointments
- FedEx, UPS, and US Postal Service Vehicles
- Maintenace vehicles for onsite restroom facilities
- Medical transport for pharmaceuticals
- School buses for school events
The emergency route was activated Tuesday after NCDOT closed the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge for safety reasons. The Ferry Division will continue to monitor traffic on the route to determine if any additional runs are needed.