Friday, March 23, 2018

Clothes Prop

I recently had new siding and a new red metal roof put on my tool shed. In the process the carpenters took down my clothes line. On a particularly warm and sunny day last week I washed a load of laundry, then re-strung my clothes line.











My neighbor Al came by, and I commented that I needed a clothes prop.

"Nobody nowadays even knows what a clothes prop is," he said jokingly. Then he added a pithy bit of island humor. My father always said Sullivan [Garrish] was so thin he could hide behind a clothes prop!"

I wonder how many of our readers have ever used a clothes prop!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a history of Village Craftsmen (1970 - the Present). You can read the Newsletter here: https://www.villagecraftsmen.com/history-village-craftsmen-ocracoke-island/

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:27 AM

    Not my generation, I remember grandmothers did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do! I'm a huge fan of hanging laundry (when it's warm here in PA).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:05 AM

    Guessing that is a stick or something similar to hold up the sagging clothesline?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:28 PM

    dah...how about a stick/pole to hold up a heavy close line..the world knows this....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:05 AM

    The subject of laundry is one of my favorites. As a resident of a deed restricted neighborhood which prohibits outdoor clothes lines, I drip dry my clothes in the bathroom on the shower curtain pole. (Actually it is a second pole behind the curtain) Do not put to many it can BREAK. Also, If one finds a clothes rack on wheels that will work too -- wheel it out side on the front walk for a few hours. The breeze will help things dry out. Using the dryer on the wrong setting can shrink your clothes and the constant spinning breaks the fibers down. Your lint trap holds fibers that once were part of your clothing. I reserve the dryer for cotton items i.e. towels, bed sheets, socks, underwear and T-Shirts my pants I also allow to drip dry. As a Child growing up in Miami My mother's clothes line looked like an umbrella of sorts turned inside out and Mrs Shea's clothes line seemed to be at least 60 feet long with two lines maybe three. Now that in my estimation, clothes would dry fast on that one. What a nice sunny spot you have to dry your clothes. I hope the seagulls have no comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:19 AM

    I had 4 once upon a time and loved hanging out my clothes, especially sheets. Nothing better! But now, now clotheslines are allowed and the dryer just isn't the same. I still would, if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:53 PM

    this is a good time for Martha Stewart to chime in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was still living in the country, I also liked to dry the clothes in the yard. I like the taste of the clothes after being sun-dried.

    ReplyDelete