Thursday, March 22, 2018

Historic Ocracoke

In 1978 Karen Duckett, a young woman who had moved to the island from the mainland, wrote a small booklet titled Historic Ocracoke.


















The 16 page booklet, which sold for $1.85, traced the history of the island from 1585, when Sir Walter Raleigh's colonists ran aground in the inlet, to the role Ocracoke played in WWII. The booklet includes a map of the island and several line drawings.

Thanks to the work of folks at digitalnc.org, you can view and read this delightful, but now out-of-print, publication here.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a history of Village Craftsmen (1970 - the Present). You can read the Newsletter here: https://www.villagecraftsmen.com/history-village-craftsmen-ocracoke-island/.

1 comment:

  1. What a read this morning.
    I knew Karen when she lived in the Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo community in the 70's. I recall she worked at the local KOA and hung around my circle of friends. She was a very talented artist and all around great person.
    She graduated to a better job as a deckhand on the Hatteras Ocracoke ferry, and I believe she was the first woman to do so. She eventually bought a tiny house on Ocracoke and I liked dropping in on her as she fixed it up.
    After a time she sold it and moved away to Norfolk where she landed a job on the Cousteau research vessel Calypso. Shortly after that I didn't hear much from or about her.
    I still have some of her drawings, including a small original portrait of me and my dog.
    Thanks Phillip for reminding me of one a bright spot in my life.

    ReplyDelete