Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Rainy Day Question

Yesterday I offered to answer your questions about Ocracoke (if I can).

The first question is "What percentage of the island population is made up of Ocokers as opposed to move ins? Do you have a rough estimate?"

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that about half of the current population consists of folks who have a long family history of living on the island. One of the old names for the island was Ocock. Thus the term "Ocockers," which is generally used to mean someone from an historical Ocracoke family who was born and raised on the island.

Until about 50 years ago, there were only a small handful of folks who had moved here from elsewhere. Often they were a little eccentric. Actually, they usually fit right in and helped make this quite a colorful place.

Look for an answer to tomorrow's question about the Ocracoke School. And if you have another question just post it here.


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:16 PM

    I recently went on one of your ghost and history walks (which by the way, was wonderful!) this summer. I have been trying to re-create some of the stories, but I wondered if you could (in a few words, of course) share with your readers your prediction on Ocracoke becoming a cape. Thanks again for all your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:00 PM

    I first went to Ocracoke as a child of 9 in 1975.Recently in 2000 and 2001 I came back for vacations and was somewhat taken aback by the development that has occured there.Still a beautiful place,but the density of new housing concerns me,which brings me to my question.Are there any housing density restrictions in place? If not are there any on the horizon? signed,Kevin from Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering when Ocracoke became a hub of sorts for Fine Arts Craftsmanship? It must be a far stretch from its earlier days when mere survival would have been the name of the game. Were there any fine artists or craftsman in the early days? How about in that Howard family?

    ReplyDelete