Saturday, September 01, 2007

Helgomizer

Last month I published Walter Howard's story of the wreck of the Black Squall in 1861. Quoting old Arcade Williams talking about a giraffe, Walter writes this: “That’s the all-fired helgomizer,” [she said] nodding her head in approval. But his neck ain’t half as long as some of ‘em’s tongues around here."

I hadn't heard the term, helgomizer, before. This morning I googled the word, but the only return I got was my own web page. I suppose I'd better check with Blanche or another island elder. Maybe helgomizer is a corruption of a more common word.

In the meanwhile, if any readers (on or off island) have ever heard of a helgomizer, please leave a comment.

Oh yes, and have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!

This month's newsletter is a story of Captain Joe Burrus, last Ocracoke lighthouse keeper before the beacon was electrified and automated. You can read it here.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't find any info on the word -- now you've got me wondering...

    ReplyDelete