Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Deluge

I don't know how much rain we got last night, but the standing water on Lawton Lane and around the Village Craftsmen makes it look like the aftermath of a tropical storm. I had to roll up my pants and wade to get over here this morning. All night long the rain came down, sometimes accompanied by thunder and lightning. I knew I had left a window open in my office, but didn't want to venture out in a thunderstorm, so I just hoped for the best. Fortunately there wasn't much wind, and only a few papers got wet.

It's still gray and overcast, and pearls of water are dripping from the tree branches (there's a strange beauty in the muted greens and grays this morning), but I think most of the rain is behind us. Maybe we'll see the sun and some blue sky by this afternoon.


Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a small photo album with historic pictures, including the aftermath of the 1944 hurricane, the 1921 Ghost Ship of the Outer Banks, the 1935 wreck of the Nomis, the Island Inn, the Methodist Church, and the Wahab Village Hotel. I've added a short paragraph under each photo to help put them in historical perspective. You can see the pictures by clicking here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news082609.htm.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:55 PM

    i heard hatteras got 8 inches of rain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:34 PM

    From yesterday morning around 2am when the rain started until 0630 this morning 09/08/09, Ocracoke received 7.30 inches of rain.

    Dale

    ReplyDelete