Monday, September 21, 2009

September Newsletter

This month, for our Ocracoke Newsletter, I reprinted an article I wrote 33 years ago (!) about sailing aboard the schooner Mary E. I thought it was worth trying to get published, so I was going to send it to one of our local Outer Banks newspapers. But then I thought, what the heck, and I submitted it to the Washington Post. Imagine my surprise when I received a tear sheet (with my byline) and a check for $50.00.

I hope you enjoy it. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news092109.htm.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, back in 1976 fifty bucks was real money. You should have tacked that check to the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:03 AM

    Please let us know when the Post publishes it, or a URL if they have already. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:06 AM

    Oops missed the 1976 ref at top of article :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! L&B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:01 PM

    Fantastic!. You are right about the reflecting now vs. then. Today, so much is taken for granted. As A docent at a historic homestead offing public tours-- I learned of the hardships in homesteading a pre-Civil War Florida. It is fitting someone native to OI had that wonderful opportunity to sail up the coast on such a vessel. It was an honor for me as a native Floridian to share a bit of the history of a family, their migratory passage down the St. Johns river through the interior of the state to what was then the largest County at the time. The establishment of a Sea Island Cotton Plantation were their plans.....fourteen children born in 20 years ... in the middle of nowhere but then a railroad was built and it practically ran past their front door.

    ReplyDelete