Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Captain Marvin Wyche Howard

I suppose nearly everyone has a favorite uncle...that special person who treats you kindly, smiles easily, teaches you how to tie knots, or helps you over rough spots in childhood. Marvin Howard, my father's oldest brother, was that uncle for me.


















Uncle Marvin was more. He excelled in his profession (he was once described as the "best dredge operator in America"), loved Ocracoke, was an accomplished equestrian, gave many hours of volunteer service to his community, and organized Ocracoke's outstanding mounted Boy Scout troop.

For several years I have wanted to honor Uncle Marvin with an article about his life and accomplishments. This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is a tribute to Captain Marvin Wyche Howard, and his Life Well Lived. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news052113.htm.

8 comments:

  1. Vickie Pavlik7:39 AM

    What a wonderful tribute.
    Well done, Philip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this made my day Philip, what a great life he lived

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to your posts everyday as well as your monthly newsletter post. This one, though, was exceptional and painted a picture of the island that helps all of us mainlanders better understand the history of the island that you can't necessarily get from a book. I also want to make sure you know that I'm reading your posts and enjoying them everyday, thought I don't always have time for a comment. Keep up the awesome work and I look forward to seeing you real soon. I'll stop by for a chat if you aren't too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juanita2:23 PM

    Philip,
    I just finished the newsletter about Uncle Marvin. It was nice remembering and learning things about him that I didn't know. The journals and newsletters that you take the time to research and write about great. You let so many people learn about the wonderful island of Ocracoke. Please continue to do so, as you are doing a GREAT job1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juanita. I enjoy the research...and I enjoy sharing these stories with island folks and others who love Ocracoke.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous3:44 PM

    Nice story, Philip. You resemble your uncle. Were you in attendance for his funeral? Looking at the inscription on his marker, I noticed how large it is, which got me to thinking about his prominence on the island and the impact he had on the lives of so many others there. It made me wonder about the occasion of his final send-off, if any of the old ponies and scouts turned out to pay their respects. A pleasant read, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in attendance at the funeral, but it was 44 years ago and I can't be sure exactly who was there. However, many were in attendance...family, neighbors, friends, & former scouts.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2:30 PM

    NC Mainlander agrees with Anon 3:44. From the angle of the photo, you favor your uncle. From reading your account, it's easy to understand why you thought so much of him. I believe you inherited more than just a family resemblance, though. Must be in the genes!

    ReplyDelete