Friday, February 14, 2014

Arrowheads

Every now and then someone finds evidence of Native American presence on Ocracoke. This 2 1/2" X 1 1/2" flint arrowhead was discovered in 1993.



















 In 2007 a neighbor found this Clovis Point on the edge of the surf.















I found this quartz arrowhead in January, 2013:














At this time we have no evidence of any permanent or semi-permanent Indian villages on Ocracoke Island. Coastal Indians seem to have made only brief visits to the island to fish, gather clams & oysters, and collect other seafood.


Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is an account of the 2013 Portsmouth Island Christmas Bird Count. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news012114.htm.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:33 PM

    Philip, I like your site but I do not understand your instructions on the right of the page to blowup and view any pictures that yoiu show.
    The notes on the page state:
    To view larger, better quality images in Internet
    Explorer do a right click on the image, then "Open
    Link in New Tab," then left click on that image to
    enlarge.

    on my XP computer and also my windows 7 computer all you have to do is left click on any picture and it blow up automatically then lick the 'back' button to bounce back to normal vewing. There is no need to open or close another tab. just left click and left click back. yes this is in normal WIndows Internet Explorer. ps: happy valentines day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:10 PM

      I am no computer expert; I simply figured out how to enlarge photos on my computer, and thought I'd share what I learned with our readers. I say, do whatever works. Philip

      Delete