Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Daffodils

"Polar Vortex," "Bitter Cold," "Snow," "Ice" -- the US, including the South, has had more than its share of winter weather this year. As our readers know, we even had 5 inches of snow on Ocracoke.

But signs of Spring are apparent on the island. I took this photo in my front yard Sunday afternoon:




















Maybe where you live the ground is still covered with ice and snow. If so, start planning your Ocracoke vacation today! Most island businesses will be open in March, ready to help you enjoy springtime on the Outer Banks.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter documents the day telephones came to the island. The article includes images of Ocracoke's first telephone directory which lists a total of 63 subscribers. You can read the Newsletter here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news022114.htm

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:38 AM

    Each year you post a picture of your front yard daffodil, it reminds me to do an internet search for the Nantucket Daffodil Festival. Apparently, that place embraces the daffodil all over the island. Does OI have a flower festival? There are towns that celebrate the rose, azalea, or daylilly to name a few. What is the state flower for North Carolina?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year I think, "I post a picture of my daffodils every February, maybe I should not do that this year," and then I do it anyway.

      NC's state flower is the American Dogwood.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:27 PM

    It's pretty. We all just can't wait to say HELLO SPRING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent observation of a flowering spring yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daffodil photo every year gives us in Kansas City some hope. Last week we briefly explored temperatures in the 60s, but we're back in the teens or lower with snow predicted for the next three days. Thanks for the lift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill, I live in Indiana, and I am here to tell you, there is no hope this year. I do love winter, but enough is enough!! It will be below zero tonight again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Philip, may I use your daffodil picture on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, please do. Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous10:18 AM

    PH what is that died up bit of plant material next to the daffodil? Was it a hydrangea bloom? Had you styled your daffodil for the photo shoot and removed it I could not ask the question --are there other flowering shrubs that one would associate with OI ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a dyrangea (called a "high geranium" by old time islanders!). I am no gardener...but Ocracoke has yuccas, wild roses, camellias, oleander, and others.

      Delete