Thursday, February 23, 2006

Ocracoke Newsletter

I've published another story on our Ocracoke Newsletter page. This month I share some information about the US Life Saving Service. The first station on Ocracoke was commissioned in 1883. I have also included the story of the rescue of the captain and crew of the schooner A. F. Crockett. Their vessel ran aground on Ocracoke's beach in rough weather on February 17, 1885.

Reading my great-grandfather's shipwreck reports I am always struck with the bravery and courage of the many Outer Bankers who struggled valiantly to bring the life saving equipment to the stranded vessels (usually in adverse conditions and using only manpower), and who braved the often cold and angry Atlantic ocean to rescue people they did not know.

You can read the latest newsletter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment