Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Overcast

Whenever the weather is rainy or a tad dreary, especially mid-week days in July or August, we get prepared for a busy afternoon. Such days start out slow, but by noon the island is awash in visitors, mostly day-trippers from Hatteras, Nags Head, and everywhere in between. I understand that the Hatteras Inlet ferries have been running at full capacity for most of the day today.

The sky is still gray and somewhat somber, though we've had little rain (it did rain right much during the night). The Village Craftsmen is quietening down by this time of the afternoon, and soon Lou Ann and I will be sitting at our rustic old wooden table enjoying left over pot roast, vegetables, and homemade bread. It will be good to settle down for a few minutes and just relax.

Lou Ann and Amy will be leading ghost & history walks this evening (if the weather cooperates). I believe I'll stop by and visit some old friends who are on the island this week. I'll be home by 9:30 so Lou Ann and I can sit on the pizer (that's the front porch for newcomers to our journal) and toast the day with a glass of red wine.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter has information about the new island Folk School. Click here to read about this new venture.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:20 PM

    philip! My family and I are so excited to come down for the ghost walk this week! (tuesday) We came last year and thoroughly enjoyed the stories shared with us by you and lou ann.

    Looking forward to seeing you!
    -- a visitor from pittsburgh

    ReplyDelete