Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Yard Sale Magic

Island life is so often serendipitous. That is one of the wonderful things about living here on Ocracoke. Yesterday Amy & David & Julie & Gary had a yard sale next door to the Village Craftsmen. At the end of the day, as I was walking home I noticed a small group of folks standing in the yard, surrounding a gentleman in a colorful hat. He had everyone's attention.

In his hand he was holding a length of white cord. He'd loop it, fold it over, knot it, and cut it. The cord miraculously joined back together. The knots untied themselves. Everyone was amazed.

I arrived late, so the crowd insisted that he show me his dollar trick. In front of my eyes he pulled out five one dollar bills. He handed them to me and I examined them. He took them back and held them between his thumb and index finger. In full view of his audience he twirled them around and around....and to everyone's astonishment they turned into five one hundred dollar bills!

Of course, we all were ready to pull out five dollar bills and have him work his magic with our money. But he was ready to move along. He lives in Florida, one of five generations of performers, magicians, animal trainers, and circus workers. He just stopped by to purchase a few yard sale items. And we got a free performance. He was one of the best close-up magicians I have ever seen.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter has information about the new island Folk School. Click here to read about this new venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment