Friday, March 21, 2008

Beach

Sand castles, fishermen, surfers, frisbee throwers, horse tracks....it's not the quiet winter beach any longer. Not that the beach is crowded. But there are a few more folks out there now that schools are on spring break. There were even youngsters cavorting in the surf yesterday and today. They had to be cold! And I didn't actually see any horses, just the tracks. It really hasn't been beach weather. It's chilly and blustery. But I guess if you're from Canada or some of our northern states it just feels warmer than it really is. As the first line of my college German text put it, "Alles ist relativ." (Everything is relative.)

You can read the eulogy delivered at Muzel Bryant's funeral on our latest Ocracoke Newsletter. Just click here.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:00 PM

    I know this is completely off topic, but i have been hearing about some federal hearings involving shutting off access to The Point on Hatteras Island and part of the north end of Ocracoke. Can you point me in the right direction to find more info? i believe the hearing is scheduled for APril 3. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:06 PM

    I also just recently heard about all of that and would love more info. I know of one website: www.savehatterasandocracoke.com but apparently it overexaggerates...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:52 PM

    Two sites I've found info on are www.fishtradewinds.com and www.midgettrealty.com. Tradewinds is where we buy our bait when we're on the island and the Midgett
    site has a link to their statement on the situation and a list of the North Carolina Senators and Congressmen. Personally, I feel the current policy of roping off the nesting areas is adequate. I've been coming to Ocracoke for 30 years and would hate to see this type of change. Let's let the officials know what we think.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:40 AM

    The Defenders of Wildlife and Southern Environmental Law Center have filed suit to close the North and South sides of Ocracoke to vehicle access. A hearing is scheduled for April 4th. Tradewinds is a great resource for more information. Contrary to earlier comment the www.savehatterasandocracoke.com accurately describes the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:08 PM

    The "save" website... (or at least to me) makes it look like they are closing everything! It seems as if we won't be able to swim, fish or anything else.

    I've lived on Ocracoke my whole life, but I'm pretty torn on this issue. Of course I want to protect wildlife & the nature of our beautiful island, but the thought of no more beach driving is crazy!

    I know Philip is out of town right now, but hopefully he can give us some more info soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:18 AM

    Please let Philip know that I missed while he was out of town. I look forward to his writings each day. I hope you all have a great day. Thanks, Terrie @ Walkertown NC

    ReplyDelete