Saturday, March 29, 2008

Crime and Punishment

Excitment on Ocracoke was at a fever pitch yesterday as three shoplifters were apprehended. Kimberly, who works regularly at the Hemp Shop, and is temporarily on loan to VC, recognized them from their misdeeds last summer. Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you steal from a little place like Ocracoke and come back not eight months later and do the same thing that you might just get caught. Just a thought, it might just be me. Most of the business owners on the island were at the Sheriff's Office last evening identifying the vast amount of merchandise these three had made off with right under our noses. My they were good, or bad as the case may be! I believe most all have agreed to press charges and that is as it should be. So kudos to Kimberly, Ocracoke's SUPER SLEUTH and to the Hyde Co
unty Sheriff's Dept. for the great follow through and Ocracoke merchants with the courage to prosecute. It's so easy to say you don't have the time, but then you are letting down you neighbors. BEWARE BAD GUYS! Ocracoke is not the place to ply your evil trades!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:34 PM

    wow...
    I have more than a lot to say on this topic but I'll try to keep my comment short.

    I'm glad some people finally got caught and I'm glad stores are finally pressing charges.

    Towards the end of summer 06 I found out that someone who had become one of my best friends, a girl that was only on ocracoke for the summer, had been shoplifting tons of things from all our favorite stores. Since then I've learned of even more teenagers from off-island that think they can easily walk away with things without paying simply because there are no alarms. It's disgusting...

    I second your kudos! and hope that this incident makes the summer of 08 a better year for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:49 PM

    Wow, what a sad story. I am glad that these thugs were caught and will be prosecuted. I remember the "good old days" when you could leave your beach chairs, coolers, etc out on the beach and come into town for lunch. I also remember leaving all of our equipment in the back of our truck and nothing was ever touched.

    Times change, and thankfully things change a little slower on Ocracoke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:47 PM

    I am so glad they were caught AND prosecuted!!!
    Phillip,
    What about the following?
    ACCESS TO CAPE HATTERAS NATIONAL SEASHORE AT RISK!!!!!
    I am a avid protector of wildlife, but it seems the Defenders of Wildlife and Audubon Society have gone off the deep end!

    At this point I would have to include the Defenders of Wildlife and Audubon Society also as some the BAD GUYS

    My visits to the Outer banks have been limited in the past number of years, but in few instances in my over 40 plus years of coming to the Outer Banks, have I seen anything but respect for for the beauty that is there.

    Never have I seen anyone encroaching the roped off areas for nesting animals.

    Please give us off islanders the islanders views concerning this matter.

    An avid reader of your blog,
    Sarah in Gastonia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:03 AM

    Sounds like a perfect opportunity to "Teach" those folks what happened to pirates in the old days. You could hang one at each end of the island as a warning to all other thieves and still have one left over for trial. Talk about your candidates for the Darwin Award. Envisioning their 45-minute to 2-hour getaway ride on one of the ferries is laughable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:11 PM

    I personally think these three scoundrels should be tied to the old oak tree on Howard Street for a while.I hear this was done in the early days to those that had done wrong.A nice hot August day with plenty of visitors would be a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:57 PM

    "the vast amount of merchandise" do you people not take inventory? Do you not actively engage yourselves with the operation of your business? Hmm we have been "selling" a lot of whatnots lately and you check your recent sales and not a whatnot is listed !! Hello wake up . What were these scoundrels doing with a vast amount of merchandise -- was it the thrill of duping shopkeepers on a pizer that drove them to this-- to fight boredom or a lack of engagement with the locals otherwise they perhaps felt disengaged sad sad sad and it took a Hemp shop clerk to spot them

    ReplyDelete