Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Old Quawk's Day

March 16 is Old Quawk's Day. I know I'm a few days late, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to share some local history. Old Quawk was an irascible island fisherman who lived in a makeshift hut many years ago. Against all advice he ventured out in his skiff on March 16 as a storm was approaching, and he never returned. For years Ocracoke mariners refused to leave port on March 16. You can read more about Old Quawk here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news040300.htm.

And just so you know...the sound was very rough on Sunday when I traveled to Cedar Island. Robust waves were rolling the ferry from side to side and spray was washing over the bow. I was glad I wasn't in a flat bottom skiff!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a fun island crossword puzzle. You can view it here.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:38 AM

    Great! I copied the OLD QUAWK story and will put it with my OBX scrapbook. I will take time to remember Old Quawk. Where is the landmark the story was talking about? I need a picture of that for the scarpbook also? Thanks again for your blog. I come to it daily. I look forward to the next entry. Have a great Ocracoke Day. Is there any other way but to be great? Look forward to our trip in May. Got to meet you and the gang.
    Terrie Hart, Walkertown, NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can locate the Old Quawk landmarks on the illustrated map of Ocracoke Island. Just copy and paste this URL into your browser if you want to order a map: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/artists.htm#Map

    Or go to the Village Craftsmen home page, click on "On Line Catalog," then on "Prints." The map is at the bottom of the page.

    Of course, you can look at the map on the wall the next time you are in the Village Craftsmen. That option is free!

    ReplyDelete