Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sunrise

On Monday morning Lou Ann & I took Lachlan out to the beach at 5:30 in the morning. He was bright and cheery, and we walked along the shore in the dark, gazing up in the sky, and out across the ocean. It was cloudy, so we knew the sunrise colors wouldn't be spectacular. But we were immediately captivated by the sparkling gem of Venus and the bright (but fingernail size) moon that peeked through the cloud cover.

The Atlantic glimmered like quicksilver in the early morning light as we spread our blanket (adorned with celestial images) on the sand. Ghost crabs scurried here and there searching for food. Willets and sand pipers foraged at the tide line. As the golden sun emerged from the cloud bank and splashed across the waves we stood for a while just to revel in the beauty, then picked up our blanket and headed back to the Pony Island restaurant for a hearty breakfast.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the second half of my father's short journal. I call it Remembering Growing up on Ocracoke. You can read it here.

4 comments:

  1. Now, that's what you might call living life to the full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wesley9:33 AM

    I've already had breakfast, but thinking about eating at the Pony Island is getting me hungry again! Good stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:36 AM

    Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just out there last week and I can hardly wait to return. Like many others we make the journey year after year no matter how long the drive. (for us it takes 15 hours)

    I read your blog every day, it makes me feel close to that beautiful island no matter where I am. Thank you.

    p.s. - I have really enjoyed "Diggin Up Uncle Evans"

    ReplyDelete