Friday, July 31, 2009

Watermelon

I opened my front door and walked out onto the porch this morning...and discovered a watermelon. A neighbor had picked it from his garden and carried it to us. Several weeks ago I was off-island and I stopped at several fruit and vegetable stands. I wanted to buy a watermelon...to eat...and to use for a watermelon seed spitting contest. I was shocked to discover that everyone was selling seedless watermelons.

Well, the melon on my doorstep is definitely the seeded variety. So finally we will have our seed spitting contest!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the second half of my father's short journal. I call it Remembering Growing up on Ocracoke. You can read it here.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:30 PM

    How does one plant a seedless watermelon garden? this notion of saving seeds --a time honored tradition-- to plant next year is overrated don't you think.

    ReplyDelete