Saturday, July 11, 2009

Women's Arm Wrestling

This is a belated post, but I wanted to say a few words about an island event that was the talk of the village a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I missed the Ocracoke Island Women's Arm Wrestling Competition (it was on a Friday evening, so it conflicted with our Ghost & History Walk). Jenny Scarborough organized the event as a benefit for the island's new radio station. By all accounts it was a huge success. People were talking about it everywhere I went. Apparently most of the women showed up in elaborate and creative costumes, and the crowd roared during each competition as if it were a major sporting event. Congratulations are in order to "Carm the Arm" who vanquished all foes!

I certainly hope I'm able to attend next year.

Perhaps some of our readers who witnessed the competition will share a few words about that evening.


Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the second half of my father's short journal. I call it Remembering Growing up on Ocracoke. You can read it here.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:05 PM

    The arm wrestling was on Tuesday evening, I believe and it was ridiculously fun. When the contestants showed up in all their finery it was hilarious! So glad I saw it!

    ReplyDelete