Saturday, June 12, 2010

Night Sky

Last night I stepped outside after midnight and looked up into the sky. I am regularly awed by the panoply of stars visible from Ocracoke on a clear night. The big dipper, of course, is always prominent...and the milky way seems to be a swath painted on the heavens by a celestial brush. Last night the immensity of time and space struck me once again as truly incomprehensible. Then my eye turned to my tiny cottage, a safe and comfortable refuge from the big, imponderable questions.

One day we will find answers to some of those questions, but surely more questions will arise. In the meanwhile the night sky at Ocracoke provides a ready dose of awe and mystery.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is Captain Rob's essay, "Schooner Windfall Sails into the Final Sunset." You can read it here:http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news052110.htm.

5 comments:

  1. Philip...I enjoyed your Ocracoke midnight sky ponderings. We, too, feel the same way when we visit there, which will be very very soon! Have a good weekend! Oh, is Lou Ann not on the island this summer? We can't imagine the Deepwater Creek Theatre without her! Please send her our best wishes...

    Linda & Tom Borneman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:18 PM

    I can close my eyes and see and feel the sky, the heavy humid night air, and the beauty that is an Ocracoke night. Even when I can't be there your blog is like a lifeline. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, Lou Ann will be here next week. She's getting to the island later than usual this season because of her back injury (but she is improving daily). People ask me about her every day. It will be great to have her back on Ocracoke...and participating in the Wednesday evening Opry. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill Jones pointed our attention to the skies Friday night as we left the storytelling at Deepwater. Yes, it was beautiful!
    We just arrived back at home. This was one of our best trips to Ocracoke and we look forward to many more.
    Now, I have to get Don started on that outdoor shower!
    -Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ocracoke sounds like a wonderful place. Just magical!

    ReplyDelete