Friday, June 11, 2010

Ocracoke School

I believe Ocracoke School is still the smallest public school in North Carolina. The last I heard there were 135 students in grades pre-K through 12th grade. Here are a few interesting facts about this very special school:

-- None of the students arrive at school by bus. They walk, ride bikes, drive, or are brought to school by family or friends. The school does have an activity bus (for off-island trips), but not a standard school bus.
-- The school does not have a cafeteria. Students may go home for lunch, or bring a bag lunch to eat at school.
-- The only school sport is basketball (there aren't enough students in any age group to complete a team in most other sports).
-- The first graduating class was in 1938. Alumni can purchase t-shirts that list every person who has ever graduated from Ocracoke School.
-- This year four seniors will be receiving their diplomas this Sunday, June 13, at 7 pm: Aaron Caswell, Jordan Jones, Samantha VanDerMyde, and DJ Lukefahr.

Congratulation to Aaron, Jordan, Samantha, and DJ! We wish you the best as you move forward.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is Captain Rob's essay, "Schooner Windfall Sails into the Final Sunset." You can read it here:http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news052110.htm.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:15 AM

    Small but mighty!! From what I have seen and read, you guys have an awsome school. Congrats to the seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can go to this website for a little piece about our friend Aaron Caswell -- http://www.witn.com/classof2010/headlines/92542959.html .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:13 AM

    How many teachers does the school have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure how many teachers are at the school now, but I know it is many more than in 1974-1975 when I taught 11th & 12th grades. I taught English, American History, World History, Biology, PE, Consumer Math, Algebra I,& Algebra II. The only subject I didn't teach was Home Ec.!

    Maybe one of our readers knows how many teachers are at Ocracoke School...or if I find out I'll post it here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you print the names of all the graduates since 1938?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family homeschools and we were on the island last week for the festival. (Was it only last week?!? Lachlan stopped by my pottery booth, and my 'greenhead' bug bite is just now better, btw!)
    The school seems like a magical place and if we ever move to Ocracoke, I wouldn't hesitate putting the kids in. They made fast friends with a few of the local kids and we all had a great time, as usual!

    Heather and Addison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie Leonard7:59 AM

    Congratulations to all of the graduates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not have a digitized list of all of the Ocracoke School graduates. If I can get one I will post it.

    ReplyDelete