Wednesday, June 20, 2012

JoKo

A reader of yesterday's blog asked about the artist Jo Ko. This is what she wrote: "I have been looking around this delightful page because it came up in the search I am doing. I recently purchased a pencil sketch of a goat herder which is signed "JoKo". So far I haven't found anything on this artist except a rather disjointed connection to Ocarcoke Island. Could you shed some light on this artist? Was he/she from your area? Thank you for your time."

Joseph and Esther Koch lived in Ohio (Akron if I am not mistaken). They discovered Ocracoke many years ago, sometime after World War II. Joe was an artist, and he made many pencil sketches of Ocracoke village, the beach, and colorful island characters. He signed his drawings "Jo Ko."

Here is one of his drawings of Blackbeard the pirate (available as a postcard from Teach's Hole Pirate Shop):

















In the 1960s Joe and Esther purchased property on School Road (where Deepwater Theater and Books to be Red is located today) and on the corner of School Road and Highway 12 (where Spencer's Market is today). Health concerns kept the Kochs away from Ocracoke for the last 25 years or so. Over the years they sold all of their island property. Esther died a number of years ago. Joe died in March of this year, just short of his 105th birthday.

You can read a little more about Jo Ko here:  http://www.ocracokecurrent.com/27093.

By the way, I don't remember ever seeing one of Joe's drawings with a goat in it, but maybe it is not an Ocracoke scene. Or perhaps it is. There were still semi-wild goats roaming on Ocracoke "down below" (on what is now National Park Service property) when Joe first discovered the island.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a list of a few traditional Ocracoke Island recipes. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news052112.htm.

28 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:33 AM

    Just try researching Ocracoke without finding the journal...I dare you! That's how I discovered it several years ago-- and I'm so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in a very cool place owned by JoKo my first summer on the Island. It was a old trailer surrounded by a huge screened cage. It has lots of shade and a washing machine, which I was told was quite valuable. Deepwater replaced it, but it will always be my first memory of Ocracoke lodging. I felt lucky to have stayed there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:33 PM

    I recently came into possession of 4 drawings of lighthouses and they are signed JoKo. Do you think these could be his?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly think so. He always signed his drawing JoKo.

      Delete
  4. I have a print of the 'Whittler' in original plastic with silver insert "Whittler 39C
    "The carved Gulls,
    Soar over the endless seas,
    In the mind of the dreamer."
    Exclusive JoKo Print of the OUter Banks, Sold only in N.C.
    Does anyone know anything about it? I have been unable to find info on the net,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure that is a drawing of Wilbur Gaskill sitting on the porch of Corky's store, but I would have to see it to be sure.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your info! Here is more. Could be the same guy...just different location.
      He is sitting on a bench on a pier, with several gulls in the air, wearing a ball cap, carved duck body & full duck beside him, rolled up shirt sleeves, baggy pants, socks & shoes...looking down carving.
      I do appreciate anything anyone knows. Thanks

      Delete
    3. I could be wrong about the location. It's been some time since I've seen that drawing, If you send a digital image to me (piphoward at embarqmail dot com) I will tell you what I know about it.

      Delete
  5. I was friends with my Nieghbor from across the street and she gave me a painting she said her and her husband bought from a young painter in Austria of a mountainous beautiful scene the. She recently passed at the age of 93 the painting she picked up was signed JoKo I wonder if it is the same artist. Please contact me @ rubin.sanchez@gmail.com it would be interesting to show it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be surprised if this were the same JoKo. If you get a chance to upload the painting to the Internet, please leave another comment here, and I will take a look at it.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous6:43 PM

    My husband recently came into possession of a sketch by Jo Ko called 'Last Survivor'. Can you tell us anything about this drawing? We haven't been able to find it anywhere or any information about it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recognize that title, but if you send me a copy of the picture maybe I can identify it for you. Please send it to info@villagecraftsmen.com. Put "For Philip" in the subject line.

      Delete
    2. I have 4 I got at a thrift store sign by Jo Jo...1st heading home 2nd harvest time.3rd alright ride 4th waiting for the mail...please let me know if this sounds like his work....

      Delete
    3. I am not familiar with any of those titles. I would have to see the drawings to know if they were by JoKo.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous4:07 PM

      I have 2 of jo ko 's pensile drawing's the Pirate one standing up with holding blade "do you know the value"?

      Delete
  7. I'm curious , I found a jo ko pencil drawing in an abandoned house. Not really sure if it's worth money but it definitely is a real drawing. Its got two signatures. It's a picture of a man standing next to a crab or fish shack right off of the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contact me at ross15thompson@gmail

      Delete
    2. Contact me at ross15thompson@gmail

      Delete
  8. Anonymous8:08 PM

    I found 2 framed sketched of Jo Ko "Long Last Look" and "shipwreck" can you tell me anything about them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know enough about the titles of Jo Ko's drawings to know which scenes these sketches depict.

      Delete
  9. I have 2 framed JoKo drawings my father bought years ago. I think they are real drawings not prints. I dont want to unseal them to find out. Anyone versed in this subject?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:49 PM

    what is a pensil drawing worth of the pirate by jo ko's

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:35 AM

    what is the value of a original pensile drawing of scareface worth from the 1950's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I'm sorry I can't help, but I really don't know.

      Delete
  12. I have a drawing by JoKo also, it is an Amish man caught in a summer shower

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are these (Camden’s Place, Pioneers Cabin) Jo Ko drawings worth anything?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are these (Camden’s Place, Pioneers Cabin) Jo Ko drawings worth anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The titles are not familiar to me. And, frankly, I do not have any idea of the current value of JoKo's drawings.

      Delete