Saturday, June 30, 2012

Books

When my father was eight-three years old he read his first book, Alicia, My Story, by Alicia Appleman-Jurman. My daughter-in-law was reading the book and my father noticed that the photo on the cover looked a lot like my mother who had died recently. My dad asked to borrow the 433 page book, and finished it a couple of weeks later.

 
When I asked my dad why he hadn't ever read a book before, he just said that he always had other things to occupy his mind. Alicia started him on a book reading project. Before he died seven years later he had read thirty-two books, many of them classics such as Silas Marner and To Kill a Mockingbird

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

 Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is Molly Lovejoy's 2012 Ocracoke School Valedictory Address. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062112.htm



6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:29 AM

    Am I the only one who thinks the woman on the cover looks like your daughter Amy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing Philip. I guess it's never to late to become a reader. I can't remember the 1st book I read, but remember reading Ala Baba and the Forty Thieves at about 7 and it scared me to death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:50 AM

    Maybe your Dad found some comfort in reading. I know it helped me get through that very dark time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:03 PM

    typo ... eight-three .. should be eighty-three

    I hope you don't mind my pointing them out. I'm pretty good at catching other people's typo's ... not so good at seeing my own!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:53 PM

    Right you are, Jackie. The word "typo's" does not need an apostrophe. It should be plural, not possessive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:37 AM

    See?!!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete