Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Beware

A number of years ago my daughter's boyfriend (who had a great sense of humor) decided to immortalize Amy's male relatives. At the time my dad was a widower, my son Stefen was young and unmarried, and I was without a girlfriend. Marty lettered a wooden sign and hung it in a tree over Howard Street. It became an instant focus of attention and amusement.



After some months I decided that the sign might be seen as a perfect complement to a dorm room somewhere, and I removed it. It has been in storage for years. Just a few days ago I hung it up on my front porch. Maybe we'll keep it there!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is "Remembering Growing up on Ocracoke" by Lawton Howard. You can read it here.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:55 AM

    Philip, thanks for your remembrance of Flag Day. Years ago, I heard a reading on the radio titled "Can We Wave the Flag Too Much?" The words were written long ago but are still appropriate. This quotation can be found on several web sites, the best of which is www.timbeeck.com/canwewave.html
    Bill in Piedmont NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:43 PM

    You are right that young man has a sense of humor as do you guys-- Is he still in your circle?? What has he made of himself these days-- Dr. lawyer Indian Chief?? He will do well no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OcracokeFan5:12 PM

    Thank you sir for the closeup picture! That is great...captures that real island humor that so many of the fine residents have. I guess now all the ladies have officially been warned!

    OcracokeFan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Hilarious! I love it, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:24 PM

    Grrrrrreat!!!
    :):):)
    Sarah in Gastonia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What has he made of himself? -- teacher & white water river guide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:54 PM

    Since this structure is within the OPS/ National Historic District are you restricted as to changes and additions to the building? Do you have to go before a committee for approval to change or add things i.e. a 21st century sign??

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I did the rehabilitation of my house I was required to abide by certain historic preservation guidelines in order to qualify for state and/or federal tax credits. I was eligible for the credits because my house is a contributing structure within the historic district. However, neither the village of Ocracoke, nor Hyde County have enacted any restrictions re. structures in the district. Incentives to preserve houses, etc. are mainly personal interest and tax credits (which are significant).

    ReplyDelete