Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sunrise, by Lou Ann



(Click on photo to view larger image.)

I rise early as the scent of the sea and the cacophony of the early morning birds spreads through the open windows. I make a pot of coffee and make sure my camera is charged for this early morning journey toward the sunrise over the sea. I toss my camera over my shoulder, fill the cup with coffee and head out.

There are a few bikers and walkers. We nod as we pass. A pink hue begins to form in the East so I know I must hurry to catch this wild beauty on Ocracoke Island. I toss my cup down among the sea oats and my breath catches in my throat. It is the solitude of watching this magnificent event with not a soul in sight. The sun and sky, sand and water weave their morning dance. I take a few shots, then just put the camera back over my shoulder , pick up my cup, and let morning begin on its own as I meander down the beach. Another day arrives on this tiny ribbon of sand out to sea.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is "Remembering Growing up on Ocracoke" by Lawton Howard. You can read it here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:04 AM

    What an AWESOME photo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:13 AM

    Welcome Home !!! you can tell by your writting this is your home away from home. This IS my favorate time of the day also,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lou Ann, I've just added this picture to my personal collection of favorites. You've captured the very essence of sunrise on the beach at Ocracoke, and it's a balm for sore eyes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete