Thursday, January 06, 2011

New Bridge

I just learned that the North Carolina Department of Transportation has finally approved construction of a new bridge to replace the aging Herbert C. Bonner bridge across Oregon Inlet. The 300 million dollar project is scheduled to commence about one year from now, and may be completed as early as 2015. The new bridge is designed to be built parallel to the existing bridge.
There has been talk of this project for the last twenty years. I thought our readers would be happy to hear that it will finally happen.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a history of the early twentieth century Doxsee Clam Factory in Ocracoke village. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news112110.htm

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:41 AM

    It's about time...too bad the bridge wasn't replaced 20 year ago. It would have cost a lot less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bill kostar7:52 AM

    This is good to know , because our clan crosses it on our annual pilgrimage to the island, and a few years ago the bridge was rated a "2" for safety.
    That didn't cause me much concern until I discovered that that was on a scale of 100!
    The car has quite a few airbags, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:28 AM

    Hmmmmmmm...that does put the safety issue in perspective, doesn't it?

    I'll keep taking the ferry to get to Ocracoke!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:42 PM

    There is no ferry for the Bonner Bridge, you have to travel over it and then get to the ferry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:51 PM

    Cedar Island and Swan Quarter ferries go directly from mainland to ocracoke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:09 PM

    I always close my eyes when I cross the Bonner Bridge. It works good for me, but scares my passengers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:17 PM

    Yes, I KNOW there is no ferry for the Bonner Bridge. C'mon! I MEANT you can drive around and take either the Swan Qtr or Cedar Island ferries.

    Or, take a private plane....if you are blessed to have one!

    I always say that getting to Ocracoke is worth the extra effort!

    ReplyDelete