Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Another Critter

Last week I made an excursion "down below" (an island expression for the area north of the NPS campground) to hike with friends at "old hammock." One of the island's largest live oaks is growing on an overgrown path there, near the sound.

Old Hammock Oak


















To read more about Ocracoke's majestic live oaks click here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news122908.htm.

When we stepped out of the truck we were startled to see, just off the side of the highway, this black snake curled up, enjoying the sunshine.














Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Wreck of the Banana Boat. You can read it here: www.villagecraftsmen.com/news102115.htm

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:36 PM

    3 years ago I ran across a snake crossing the road while I was on my bike, near Parkers creek...I think that's the name that was on the bridge. Again this past July at the parking lot across from the campground I saw another snake - now yours. For an island there seems to be a lot of snakes. I have been on all the paths around the duck compounds on Pea Island and the paths around the lost colony and never saw a snake. What makes Ocracoke so attractive to them? Has there ever been a problem with snakes in the past? Any one bitten? Just wondering. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing (only guessing) that Ocracoke does not have any more snakes than elsewhere on the Outer Banks. And, I have always heard that we have no water moccasins on the island (not enough fresh water). Probably no venomous snakes on Ocracoke at all. Your lack of encounters with snakes elsewhere on the Outer Banks may be just coincidence.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:05 PM

    Thank you. (good blog site)

    ReplyDelete