Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Evidence

Only recently (in the last 12-15 years) have we had deer on Ocracoke. A doe and her fawn darted across Highway 12 one early morning about 10 years ago as I was driving to the Hatteras ferry. But I haven't seen deer since then. I often wonder if deer are still on the island. When I wander around "down below," especially near Parker's Creek, there is no doubt. I made this photo just two weeks ago:


















A path with numerous clearly impressed deer tracks ran across the open sandy area between heavily wooded stands of cedars, yaupons, and myrtles. But the deer stayed well hidden. One day I might be lucky and stumble upon a daytime lair.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Wreck of the Banana Boat. You can read it here: www.villagecraftsmen.com/news102115.htm.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:45 AM

    How do you think they got to the island? Doesn't seem like it could happen easily without help! There are definitely deer in Buxton. The last few years camping at the NPS Cape Point Campground we have seen them in the campground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they swam over.

      Delete
    2. Debbie Leonard10:25 AM

      I was kayaking in the SC low country once and observed a herd of several deer swimming across a good sized creek.

      Delete
  2. Do you know of anyone who has seen deer swimming in the sound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard anyone say they've seen deer swimming in the sound or the inlet...but I do know people who have seen bears swimming in the sound (over the years a few bears have taken refuge on Ocracoke for a while!).

      Delete
  3. The lack of deer isn't a bad thing. I live in North Central NC, and the number of deer vs car accidents are outrageous. My wife just had a deer run into the side of her car last week, and the adjuster said she was going deer hunting.
    Running her ragged with deer claims.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:10 AM

    I saw a small doe just north of the Pony pens on my way from the ferry to town Thanksgiving morning

    ReplyDelete