Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Rain, Wind, Potlucks, & Parties

Well, I did get to the beach yesterday after all. And it's a good thing because forecasters are calling for rain on and off all day today. This morning it was windy and rainy. In my outdoor shower it felt like a minor hurricane. I even glanced up above me once or twice to make sure no tree limbs were about to break and come crashing down on me. I could just imagine someone finding me on the floor of the outdoor shower, water cascading over my naked body, clobbered to death by a cedar branch.

Last night several islanders gathered at the home of Lida & Bill Jones to recognize Darwin Day (he was born February 12, 1809), share a potluck dinner (they're always delicious), and watch the documentary, Flock of Dodos.

And I received more news of island happenings from "The Captain." Here it is:

"Hey Philip, Your blog visitors might be interested in knowing that the Ocracoke Jazz Society is having a party/performance in the Deep Water Theater this Friday (the 15th) from 8pm until. Admission is dessert to share and a supportive attitude. And they said Ocracoke was "dead" in
February...!"

Sounds like a fun evening. Hope to see many of you there!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is inspired by an April, 1942 article about the island in The State magazine. You can read it here.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:15 PM

    Hey Philip,

    Bring yer harmonica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:15 PM

    Hey Phillip!
    I'm so glad the cedar branch did not get you!!!
    That was quite a visual!!!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete