Friday, February 08, 2008

Ruts in the Ramps

This afternoon I decided to take my walk on the beach down by the NPS campground. I was interested in seeing how "tore up" the beach was because of the bridge construction detour. I'd heard that there were deep ruts made by large delivery trucks.

I didn't try to drive my AWD Subaru across the beach (it doesn't have much clearance), but the ramp didn't look too bad to me. Of course, there are ruts, and they're fairly deep, but several pickup trucks and SUVs managed without any problems. A utility truck pulling a worker's trailer did get stuck, but the towing service was there within minutes and pulled him out with little trouble.

I don't know what the other ramp (by the Pony Pen) is like. I've heard it's worse, but I don't really know.

The long necks of four cranes were visible from the campground, but I could see only minor activity -- just one front end loader and a couple of dump trucks there.

I turned and walked south, away from the construction zone. The sun was bright and cheery today, and the temperature (60 degrees) perfect for a shirt-sleeve stroll on the hard-packed sand near the water.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is inspired by an April, 1942 article about the island in The State magazine. You can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment