Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Visiting

I didn't get to the beach yesterday....and I may not make it today. I've been trying to catch up on Village Craftsmen details during the day, and then I've been paying visits to a few folks whom I haven't seen in a while.

Last week Lou Ann and I stopped in to see Blanche Styron (for our regular readers, this is another Blanche, not my Howard Street cousin). She kept us entertained for about an hour and a half with stories (humorous, historical, and earthy) about her childhood on the island. Then we stopped by to see Fowler and Chloe (Fowler has plenty of classic nautical tattoos and colorful stories to go with them). They're always a delight to spend time with.

Yesterday I walked to Iona Teeter's to chat with her and her son, Wayne. Wayne and I were good buddies when I was a pre-teen. We laughed and carried on until Iona was ready to turn in for the night (it wasn't all that late!). Today I carried some old photos to cousin Blanche so she could identify some of the people for me. I was just in time to prevent her from climbing up onto two cinder blocks (on top of a platform) to check the level in her oil tank. She admitted that she was hard-headed, but agreed to "maybe" call me the next time she's tempted to check her oil.

I'm going to a pot luck dinner tonight, so I'll be lucky to get to the beach this afternoon. But I can't stay away too long.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is inspired by an April, 1942 article about the island in The State magazine. You can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment