Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Door Lock

Many older homes on the island still include antique hardware. This solid brass door handle and lock is the original equipment on a 150 year old Ocracoke Island house that was built from salvaged materials.










Sections of this house were constructed with lumber from a shipwrecked schooner. Presumably the door lock also came from that ship. Not too remarkably (considering the quality of workmanship in the mid 19th century), the lock still works.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is a brief history of Howard's Pub. You can read it here: https://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news082117.htm.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:04 AM

    ..not to remarkably the lock still works... my 20-year-old deadbolt fell apart in my hand. Little springs and tumblers did just that, tumbled out onto the floor. I pieced it back together, taped it up and drove to the Home depot leaving behind a faux unlocked house. I told the neighborhood cat to keep an eye on the house while I was gone. I was able to install the new lock - the deadbolt is the only lock the door handle is just that a handle with a thumb release. Not that I live in a crime infested neighborhood but knowingly leaving an unlocked house is not in my nature. I suppose if that happened and someone entered they might think "Dang, a thief has been here before and rifled through the stuff!"

    ReplyDelete