Friday, August 19, 2011

Anole

Yesterday afternoon, as I was stepping onto my back, screened in porch, I noticed movement near the screen door. Immediately I recognized a small green lizard scurrying around. It was trapped inside, and became agitated whenever I approached too close. It took me a little while to catch him and put him into a container.

I carried the anole outside and released him against the siding of my outbuilding, thinking I could get a good, clear photo against the white background. Unfortunately the anole darted under the building before I could get a picture. However, I did get of shot of him earlier when he was pinned against the screen.



(Click on photo to view a larger image.)

They sure are cute...and they help control summertime pests like crickets, spiders, and cockroaches.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is Lou Ann's story of the Night Blooming Cereus Cactus. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news072111.htm.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:19 AM

    Philip, that cute, green Anole was fortunate to be at your house! Haven't seen such a creature in the Person county, NC area, but we surely have our share of lizards. I do not fear a lizard, but snakes, well, that's another story.

    Maybe the Anole was just trying to get a good view at the next music jam in your parlor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:40 AM

    We had two bats get stuck in the screen porch of the cabin we rented at the beach in Alabama. We were seated in the porch to watch the exodus as they emerged from the eaves on the outside-- but I guess a traffic jam ensued in the overhang and two bats emerged from another separation or a hole in the screen. Anyway we quickly propped the door open went inside-- there were skeeters -- watched from the inside of the tastefully decorated cottage as the sun set. If we rose early enough, we could watch them return at sunrise. Actually, that's how I discovered they were there , ---I stumbled into the kitchen to brew some coffee and what to my wondering eyes did appear but-- bats disappearing into the eaves!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Anon 8:40....quite a bat story...better you, than me! Glad you can see the humor in it now.

    Perhaps Philip's Anole was trying to make his/her way to the gypsy wagon and just made the wrong turn!!! :)

    ReplyDelete