Monday, August 15, 2011

Awakened From An Afternoon Nap

Sunday afternoon Lachlan and I biked down to Springer's Point to swim and play in the water with friends. We came back home and read books until Lachlan's mama came home from work. I eventually fell asleep in the hammock...and was awakened by the sound of music wafting through the woods. I wandered through the path and discovered five young people gathered around my gypsy wagon. Brian was playing his fiddle, Christian was on guitar, Nick was strumming the mandolin, and Lilly was playing her trombone.

Many of their tunes were played in a minor key; a few were even a tad mournful. Somehow the slow, lilting music fit the mood of a quiet Sunday afternoon.



(Click on photo to view a larger image.)

One of the many benefits of living "on the edge" (on the edge of the continent, on the edge of civilization, on the edge of creativity) is serendipitous opportunities like this one. It was a beautiful scene.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is Lou Ann's story of the Night Blooming Cereus Cactus. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news072111.htm.

9 comments:

  1. I love it. What a cool gypsy wagon !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:50 AM

    An example of improvisation in the truest form!

    What a lovely way to gently awake from an afternoon nap, Philip!!!! Only on Ocracoke....

    Please, do tell about your gypsy wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:58 AM

    Anon 7:50 comment continues....just checked out the local web-cams (Capt. Landing and Ocracoke Harbor Inn)....what a gorgeous morning on O.I....the sky is so clear today. No haze! Gentle wind blowing from the NW @ 7 mph. The water is topaz blue this a.m. Everything looks so fresh and clean from the rain. Just had to let my fellow bloggers know in case any would like to enjoy the morning scenes as I have this morn! Also, check out Ocracoke airport web-cam. The O.I. lighthouse is standing tall against the bluest sky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie S.9:34 AM

    What an intersting wagon! Where did you find such a treasure and for what purpose do you utilize it - beside impromptu jam sessions?

    Anon - thanks for the lovely weather description - now I'm "blue" not to be there enjoying it! I like to watch the ferries coming in and imagine I'm one one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Philip,
    I'm so jealous of your peaceful, idyllic life on OI...what a joy to be awakened by youthful, sweet voices and then the vision of a very cool gypsy wagon in the background of the singer...very jealous of your gypsy wagon. Yes, do tell...how you came across it and where is it and for what purpose does it serve (as if it needs a purpose, because it's just way cool). ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. debbie s.1:42 PM

    well... if ya gotta wake up from a nap... id say thats the way to do it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:42 PM

    To Julie S....yes, Anon 7:50 does the same thing....I find myself daydreaming and pretend to be on the SQ ferry which arrives @ OI. I never pretend to be on the OI ferry headed to SQ, though. I'm only on the ferry which is arriving to Ocracoke!!! Glad to know I have a kindred spirit out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:17 AM

    I have had a similar experience though not on OI. Felt like I was in heaven when I was lulled to sleep by someone playing a beautiful classical guitar piece. My guess is that being woken up to music would be pretty much the same..Looking forward to a late autumn visit. Will stop in to say hello...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:12 PM

    the gypsy spirit is alive on OI !

    ReplyDelete