Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Bike Ride

David, Lachlan, & I went out for a bike ride just before sunset. What a beautiful evening! Not only was it cloudless and calm...but there was hardly anyone on the road -- and they were all locals. We'd stop and chat now and then, but we did make it to the sound shore just before the sun melted into the water. A half dozen ducks were lazily probing for tasty morsels a few yards away. Lachlan learned two new words -- serene & tranquil.

I suppose this is our last serene and tranquil evening before Earl gets here. I'm going to stick my neck out and make a prediction -- I think we'll get 60-80 mph winds late tomorrow night and early Friday morning...maybe even 90-100 mph winds...and soundside flooding about 2 am Friday morning. Remember, I'm no weather forecaster...just a local with a guess. Dale promises me he'll report all of the weather statistics after the storm has passed us by.

8 comments:

  1. We'll keep you all in our hearts and prayers. Hope to see you early next week and the rest of the wonderful island that is such a special corner of the planet to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bill kostar10:12 PM

    Please be sure that someone gets the Burgesses off Portsmouth Island. The storm is likely to be even tougher on everything out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie11:02 PM

    Praying that Earl produces some rough waves that yield beautiful shells, but no damage or injuries to that little piece of Heaven and her inhabitants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:23 AM

    what does a mandatory evacuation mean? Did they not tell residents of New Orleans to leave too? See you on CNN. Arrgg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:37 AM

    I can just picture you, David and Lachlan having that enjoyable bike ride. It's a shame it takes the threat of a Cat #3 or #4 hurricane to "reclaim" Ocracoke.

    I realize Ocracoke's economy depends on the tourists/visitors and I am one of those visitors (I don't think of myself as a tourist anymore because I like to say Ocracoke is my "vacation home".)
    However, I am sure the rare quietness and serenity is a blessing, especially in early September.

    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:04 AM

    I hope Lachlan doesn't learn death & destruction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:46 PM

    What is the fascination with locals? As opposed, I assume, to visitors. You seem to relish the fact that you don't run into anyone unfamiliar. But you live on a tourist destination, so I don't understand what I take to be a poor attitude towards those that pay the bills for most people on this island's lifestyle. I've encountered this attitude frequently while I've been here, and I have to say, it's more juvenile than the shoplifters you talked about back in '08.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hardly think it's a poor attitude to enjoy time with people you know well...and to cherish an oasis of quiet and tranquility now and then. Most of us look forward to the summer season that brings, not only income, but new people, often bursting with talent, ideas, vision, and enthusiasm. However, just like the worker who enjoys his or her colleagues, supervisor, and the challenges of work, but finds special joy coming home to family and close friends, we islanders can't help but cherish the quiet off-season as much as we look forward to renewed vitality every spring.

    ReplyDelete