Friday, September 03, 2010

Wet & Bedraggled

That is almost the worst that can be said about the aftermath of Earl...almost. I did see one tree lying on top of a roof (at Ocracoke Restoration), but it hadn't punched any holes through the roof, or even torn off shingles. And the outer portion of the dock at Ocracoke Harbor Inn has collapsed. There surely is other damage, but everyone I saw and spoke to agreed -- the damage was minimal.

The tide was up in several places around the village ("flowing like a river" one neighbor said), but it had receded by morning. Blanche's house is very low to the ground, and the tide came up to her siding, but not into the house. We lost no trees on Howard Street, just a few branches and limbs.

The last I heard there was sand on Hwy 12 between the village and Hatteras Inlet (I'm sure the state will be clearing that as soon as possible). I understand that officials are checking to see that the ferry channels are clear.

I do not have any up to date information about Hwy 12 on Hatteras Island, or about when the ferries will resume operation. However, the NC DOT web site should have the most current information: http://tims.ncdot.gov/tims/default.aspx

Many thanks to Warner, Lou Ann, and Amy for posting information while I was unable to (after dinner last night I decided to turn off my computer at Village Craftsmen [I do not have Internet access at my home, and I didn't want to be running back and forth during the storm], and the power just came back on within the hour).

Also many thanks to all of our readers for your concern and encouraging comments. There have been so many comments that I may have neglected to answer some of your questions. Please ask me again if I have not replied.

The sky is beginning to clear, and I've got a bit of cleanup and re-organizing to do -- maybe even a little reading and a nap!

I'll be back tomorrow, if not before.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this update, Philip. It is very hard to be a proud property owner in Ocracoke & live in California during the hurricane season! I have been checking in with your blog continually & loved that you had back up to appease my worried soul!!
    Patience

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:19 PM

    I think I heard a loud sigh of relief all the way from Howard street!

    Thanks to all who did such an amazing job before, during and after Earl.

    Oh, the web-cam @ The Ocracoke Harbor Inn does show the end of the pier sagging in the water. Thanks for letting us know.

    Now, go take that nap, Philip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:30 PM

    Thank you so much for your updates. As a tourist who is anxious to make her way to the island, I have been scouring the web for information. Your blog is the most up-to-date and informative source I have found so far! I look forward to visiting the Village Craftsman very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:33 PM

    Thank you for your update on the storm! My family (four vehicles leaving from two ferry locations) have reservations on Saturday's ferry for a week's stay on Ocracoke. Even though the ferries aren't running as of now, at least we know the island is fairly intact!

    We are looking forward to visiting your lovely island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:27 PM

    Glad that things worked out as well as they did. Ocracoke is such a special place and as yearly visitors, my family feels fortunate to be able to come there. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have come to know - and love - Ocracoke after two visits in 2008 and 2009. We are anxious for news and glad things seem to ok. Please continue to keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have come to know - and love - Ocracoke after two visits in 2008 and 2009. We are anxious for news and glad things seem to ok. Please continue to keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last news we had was that Rt 12 was impassable north of Rodanthe, but the DOT was already on site clearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mochel Morris3:48 PM

    Glad things weren't too bad, Philip! I was imagining the new hurricane line painted on the sign at the store.

    BTW, Jeff has finished chemo #2 of cycle 2. Two more cycles to go. He's working out & walking. The worst reaction has been in his disrupted sleep patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:20 PM

    Hi Philip!
    Thanks for the updates and for the call this morning! So glad things look good after the storm.Hope to see u maybe this weekend...
    Lee and boys

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:02 PM

    Hooray!

    We look forward to making our fall trip to the island tomorrow (we have had ferry reservations for some time)

    See you early next week

    ReplyDelete