Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Molasses Creek

Last week Jude, Frank, and I decided to get together right after work on Thursday. We ordered a pizza and sat on my back porch enjoying a delightful late summer evening. At 7:30 we made our way to Deepwater Theater for the Molasses Creek concert. We all agreed that it was an outstanding performance. As usual, everything clicked. The band's energy level was contagious, and their songs, a wonderful combination of bright, foot-stomping tunes, thoughtful & reflective lyrics, fast-paced instrumentals, and humorous parodies kept the audience thoroughly engaged. I had almost as much enjoyment watching the people around me. Their heads bobbed in time with the music, and their smiles, laughter, and applause erupted spontaneously throughout the evening. It was as fine a performance as I've experienced anywhere.

As I meandered down Howard Street on my way home I caught glimpses of the star-studded sky between the crowns of live oaks. At my gate on Lawton Lane I looked up into the unobstructed heavens. For a time I just stood in awe of the night sky, the Milky Way spread across the dome above me, bright and clear. As I placed my hand on the fence a shooting star streaked across the eastern sky. I opened the gate and walked quietly home.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter, Looking for the Wahabs of Ocracoke, was written by Dr. James Zogby, president of the Arab American Institute. You can read the article here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news082110.htm.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:30 AM

    if only more people, in this fast paced society, had the opportunity to look up into the heavens at least weekly.For years i would listen to Jack Horkhimer the director of the Miami Space planetarium his Star Hustler show, a nightly heads up on what You were looking at in the night skies has a new host as we stargazers lost this dedicated fellow astronomer as he recently passed away. The local PBS in your area airs the show, give the new host a chance, we lost a unique voice cheerleading the heavens above and educating us along the way.You Tube has archived some shows hosted by Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:08 PM

    Philip, you have just confirmed that Ocracoke is a peaceful heaven in this chaotic world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:59 PM

    Sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:13 PM

    So lovely.
    Will you adopt us?!?

    Heather & Addison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:03 PM

    Yes, good idea...Will you adopt me, too???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie Leonard9:09 PM

    There you go again...making life in Ocracoke sound perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:19 AM

    It's something about the coming of autumn, after living through such a hot summer, which allows us to pause and enjoy the tranquility of a lovely September night. Being on Ocracoke island just makes it that much more enjoyable!

    Philip, you have it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aahhhh! The sweetness of the quiet of Ocracoke! You are one lucky man, Philip Howard!

    Blessings,
    Linda Borneman

    ReplyDelete